The organizers of a symposium at the University of Granada this summer are inviting proposals on the topic of sound and politics in Europe in the first half of the 20th century. Submissions are due by March 25, 2022.
Possible themes include:
- Rhetoric and oratory
- The politics of silence and the politics of ‘noise’
- Reverberation, resonance, echoing
- Technology, including amplification and radio
- Space, e.g. theaters, stadia, streets, parliaments
- Psychological theories of the ‘mass’
- The politics of ‘shouting’ and other forms of sonic interpellations and disruptions
- Call and response, acclamation, and audience-speaker dynamics
- The mass vs the individual
- Challenges or failures to communicate; excessive sound/noise
We sometimes make mistakes, and we are happy to correct any errors that you may come across on our site. If you find an error, please let us know using the “submit a correction” link.