The AFS Public Programs Section and the Independent Folklorists’ Section offer an AFS Annual Meeting travel stipend of $750.00. The award supports travel costs (transportation, meeting registration, lodging and/or per diem expenses) for a member of the AFS Independent Folklorists’ Section involved in public folklore to attend the AFS annual meeting and to present their work.
The stipend will be awarded to a member of the Independent Folklorists’ Section who submits a proposal to the upcoming annual AFS meeting program committee, and who demonstrates an interest in, and contribution to, the field of public folklore. The award is contingent on the applicant’s proposal being accepted for participation in the AFS meeting.
To qualify for the award applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Paid membership in the AFS Independent Folklorists’ Section, but not necessarily an AFS member.
- Live at least 100 miles from the meeting location.
- Be a member who earns a significant portion of her/his income from independent consulting work.
- Plan to attend the annual AFS meeting for at least two full days as well as the business meetings of the Public Programs and the Independent Folklorists’ Sections (where the recipient will be acknowledged and may be asked to briefly describe their participation).
- Not have made the same presentation at a previous AFS meeting.
- Not have received the award in the past two years.
- Be willing to serve on the selection committee the year following their award.
You may apply for both this award and the Women Independent Folklorists’ Travel Award, if you are eligible for both, and both will be reviewed by the same committee, but you can only receive one award.
How to Apply
The deadline for applications has been extended to August 1, 2022.
With your application, upload a letter of application (not to exceed three pages) with a narrative describing:
- How you will participate in the annual American Folklore Society meeting (paper session, panel, forum, workshop, or other event);
- Your work as an independent folklorist and your experience and interest in public folklore;
- The approximate proportion of your income that is derived from independent consulting work;
- The impact receiving the Independent Folklorists’ Travel Stipend will have on your ability to attend;
- How you hope to benefit from attending the meeting and what contribution your presence at the meeting will make to the field;
- Budget Estimate: Please estimate the travel expenses you expect to incur (Include airfare or other transportation costs, lodging and meal expenses, and meeting registration fees). It is understood that the $750.00 stipend may not cover all expenses.
- Attach, in the same file, a current resume or cv.
If you have questions about this application process, contact [email protected].
Applications are reviewed by the stipend selection committee, which is composed of a representative from the Independent Section, Public Programs Section, the Women’s Section, and the previous years’ recipients of the award, according to the following criteria:
- The quality and significance of the applicant’s work, as based on the narrative, abstract proposal and résumé.
- The extent to which the applicant’s attendance at the AFS meetings will benefit both the applicant and the field, especially in the area of public folklore.
- The feasibility of the budget and the applicant’s demonstrated need of the stipend in order to attend the meeting.
The Independent Folklorists’ Section gratefully acknowledges support from the AFS Public Programs Section to facilitate participation in the annual meeting by an independent folklorist.
Please send questions about the Independent Folklorists’ Travel Stipend to Dr. Christine Zinni and Dr. TJ Smith, co-conveners of the Independent Folkorists Section, at this email address: [email protected]