The Pennsylvania Rural Arts Alliance has recently been named as a provisional partner in the PA Council on the Arts’ Folk and Traditional Arts program. As a part of the new initiative, PRAA seeks to hire a folklorist/consultant to build the program. The deadline for submission is December 15, 2022.
This part-time temporary position is created to work with PA Rural Arts Alliance to research and develop a folk and traditional arts program in the counties of Armstrong, Butler, Clarion, Jefferson and Indiana Counties in Pennsylvania. The Pennsylvania Rural Arts Alliance has been designated as the Folk and Traditional Arts partner for these counties, through a program of the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts. More about this program can be found here.
The position is part-time, in a consultant capacity. The consultant is responsible for their own taxes. The consultant reports to PRAA’s Executive Director who administers the program. The contract is grant funded and may be renewed in subsequent years.
Duties as listed in our grant application:
- Work with PRAA’s Executive Director to determine first steps – in person or virtual meetings
- Review the counties in our region and determine which counties to focus on for year 1
- Conduct initial fieldwork to identify local stakeholders who would be resources to artists and artistic traditions
- Visit community gathering spaces to learn about the region’s ethnic and cultural makeup
- Host a gathering of relevant organizations to determine the needs for artists and organizations in the region
- Submit a monthly written status update and a written report at the conclusion of the grant year
- Make recommendations to PRAA’s executive director and board for next steps in year two.
- MFA or MA (strongly preferred) or commensurate experience in an arts-related field, with study in cultural sustainability, folklore, anthropology, or another related field
- Ability to travel in SW Pennsylvania
- Position is part-time for 9 months from 12-2022 through 8-2023
- $200/per day for up to 70 days – includes travel costs – to be negotiated
Please respond to Becky Catelinet, PA Rural Arts Alliance Executive Director at [email protected] or by phone at 724-840-5688.
Applicants should provide a current resume and 2 professional references.
Click here for the job description and application information.
We sometimes make mistakes, and we are happy to correct any errors that you may come across on our site. If you find an error, please let us know using the “submit a correction” link.