The Strong, a highly interactive, collections-based museum in Rochester, NY devoted to the history and exploration of play, is seeking a research specialist for Black Play & Culture.
The Research Specialist for Black Play & Culture will review the museum’s current collections and exhibits to identify opportunities for new and diverse artifact acquisitions and exhibit displays; develop online interpretive content through a series of museum blogs and an online exhibit; engage local, regional, and national communities through collecting and interpretive initiatives; and play a critical role in the growth and interpretation of the world’s most comprehensive public collection of playthings and historical materials related to play.
The research specialist is a regular full-time, benefit-eligible position.
- Degree in Black or Africana Studies, Black History, American History, Museum Studies, Recreation & Leisure Studies, Sociology, or other relevant program. Graduate degree preferred.
- Strong creative thinking, interpersonal, planning, and organizational skills.
- Excellent writing ability.
- Skilled in effective collaboration and works well in a team environment.
- Ability to network and build relationships with diverse communities locally, regionally, and nationally.
- Good track record of successfully completing projects.
We sometimes make mistakes, and we are happy to correct any errors that you may come across on our site. If you find an error, please let us know using the “submit a correction” link.