Alabama State Council on the Arts Seeks Arts Program Manager- Folk Art Option
The Folklife Program Manager is part of the Alabama Center for Traditional Culture, the folk and traditional arts division of the Alabama State Council on the Arts. The Council is the state’s official arts agency based in Montgomery, fulfilling the mission of enhancing the quality of life and economic vitality for all Alabamians by providing support for our diverse and rich artistic resources. This is a permanent, full-time position, located in Montgomery, Alabama. State employees enjoy robust employment and retirement benefits.
The Folklife Program Manager works with other Council staff members and state partners to implement programs designed to identify, document, and present art traditions indigenous to Alabama communities. The Folklife Program Manager will:
- Conduct special projects such as publications, teacher workshops, traveling exhibits, and events.
- Contribute to Alabama Folklife scholarship by conducting fieldwork, cultural asset mapping projects, writing scholarly articles and monographs, and engaging in folklife education projects.
- Record interviews with Alabama artists, write radio shows, and edit audio for episodes of the Alabama Arts Radio program and podcast.
- Manage grant programs for the Alabama State Council on the Arts.
- Preserve and digitize materials held in the Alabama Folklife Collection, the archive of the Alabama Center for Traditional Culture.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in folklore, cultural resources, anthropology, sociology, English, history, journalism, Southern Studies, American Studies, or a closely related field.
- Two years of experience developing and managing work in a folk arts program in the promotion of arts and cultural resources for a city, county, or state, or for an arts center, university arts facility, art museum, or similar organization.
- A master’s degree from an accredited college or university in one of the fields listed above may substitute for one year of required experience.
Salary: $41,668.00 – $69,688.00 (Yearly Salary)
Learn more on the AFS Career Center.
We sometimes make mistakes, and we are happy to correct any errors that you may come across on our site. If you find an error, please let us know using the “submit a correction” link.