The International Society for Contemporary Legend Research (ISCLR) announces that it is time to submit papers for the student essay prize given annually in honor of the memory of Dr. David Buchan (1939–1994), leading international ballad scholar and a staunch supporter and perceptive writer in the area of contemporary legend research.
Written submissions are due May 1, 2021. Papers presented at the conference are automatically considered.
- The prize will be awarded for the best student essay (submitted in writing or presented orally at the annual ISCLR conference) that combines research and analysis on some aspect of contemporary legend or contemporary legend research. Previously published essays will not be considered for the award.
- Applications are invited from registered (post)graduate students, although undergraduate essays will also be accepted for consideration on the advice of faculty members.
- Either students or their teachers may submit essays. Instructors are asked to encourage students with eligible essays to enter the competition.
- The deadline for submission is 1st of May in the year the award is to be made, and the essays should have been written within the previous academic year, or the current academic year.
- The award will be made by the President of ISCLR upon the recommendation of the Selection Committee appointed by him/her, and will be announced at the annual meeting of the Society.
- The winner will receive $250 (US), and a year’s membership to ISCLR. The winning essay will normally be submitted for publication in the Society’s journal, Contemporary Legend.
To submit a paper or for further information, please contact:
Elissa R. Henken
145 Brentwood Dr.
Athens, GA 30605 USA
We sometimes make mistakes, and we are happy to correct any errors that you may come across on our site. If you find an error, please let us know using the “submit a correction” link.