The Marion Voices Folklife + Oral History Program is thrilled to announce the launch of the “Marion Voices Summer Institute in Cultural Documentation,” a summer-long series of workshops focused on mobilizing cultural documentation for social justice, and targeted towards community organizers, activists, cultural workers, artists, non-profit organizations, anchor institutions, and anyone ready & excited to take on the work! We’ll be offering an exciting slate of seven core workshops from late June through the end of August, with two series: one focused on Cultural & Documentary Arts & one on Social Justice Praxes.
The line-up and esteemed instructors for the Summer 2021 inaugural Marion Voices Summer Institute are as follows:
Cultural & Documentary Arts Series:
- Folklife & Folk Arts 101 with Jess Lamar Reece Holler, June 28, July 12, July 17 at 6:00 PM EST
- Environmental Soundscapes with Jess Lamar Reece Holler, July 10 at 4:00-5:00 PM EST
- Oral History 101 with Jess Lamar Reece Holler, July 17-18 at 4:00-6:00 EST
Social Justice Praxes Series:
- The Inner Work of Anti-Racism with Whitney Gherman, July 1 at 6:45-8:00 PM EST
- Diversifying Your Board with Francisco “Paco” Ollervides, July 7 at 6:00-7:00 PM EST
- Afro-Futurist Funding with Johnnie L. Jackson, August 7, 14, 21 at 10:00-11:00 AM EST
- Equity Budgeting with Jess Lamar Reece Holler, August 9, 16 at 7:00-8:00 PM EST
For more on each workshop and our instructors, peruse The Summer Institute Lookbook or go directly to the Marion Voices Folklife & Oral History Program’s Eventbrite.
We sometimes make mistakes, and we are happy to correct any errors that you may come across on our site. If you find an error, please let us know using the “submit a correction” link.