Join us for a virtual Candidates’ Forum on November 11, 2021, 1:00 PM EST, to hear the candidates for AFS Executive Board and Nominating Committee speak to current concerns in conversation with the current Nominating Committee.
Secure online voting for current members will begin in the days after the Forum and will continue through December 15. Those elected will take office on January 1, 2022. Be sure to login to the AFS Membership Portal to see if you are current.
Biographical summaries and platform statements from all candidates can be found on the elections page of the AFS Candidates page.
Executive Board (three to be elected to three-year, 2022-2024 terms):
- Karen (Queen Nur) Abdul-Malik, Perkins Center for the Arts
- Julián Antonio Carrillo, Independent, El Paso
- Tim Frandy, Western Kentucky University
- Benjamin Gatling, George Mason University
- Semontee Mitra, Penn State University, Harrisburg
- Meltem Türköz, Boğaziçi University, Istanbul
Nominating Committee (one to be elected to a three-year, 2022-2024 term):
- Mark Miyake, Western Washington University
- Guha Shankar, American Folklife Center
The AFS Executive Board thanks the members of the Nominating Committee (Lisa Rathje, chair, with members Luisa Del Giudice, Anika Wilson, and Sarah Gordon) for their work to assemble this slate, and we thank all candidates for their willingness to serve AFS and the field.
We sometimes make mistakes, and we are happy to correct any errors that you may come across on our site. If you find an error, please let us know using the “submit a correction” link.