The editors of a forthcoming edited volume are looking for original contributions on TV Miniseries representing slavery and racism in the US. Submissions are due by March 30, 2022.
Suggested topics include, but are not limited to:
- Genre (historical/period drama, horror, magic realism, alternative history)
- History as intertext (i.e., the appearance of historical characters, such as Harriet Tubman)
- Roots as the mother of this sub-genre; the explicit or implicit critique of racist Hollywood movies (such as Birth of a Nation, Gone with the Wind, and others)
- A comparison to miniseries that treat other mass atrocities; trauma studies; #BLM, representations of religion, spirituality, and the spectral
- The influence of Jordan Peele’s movies Get out and US, and the recent backlash against so-called “critical race theory.”
We sometimes make mistakes, and we are happy to correct any errors that you may come across on our site. If you find an error, please let us know using the “submit a correction” link.