The Folk Craft Site Coordinator is a key member of the Lowell Folk Festival team as the lead for the Folk Crafts Area. This individual is responsible for the crafts demonstration artists program, arranging logistics for their participation at the Festival, managing contractual arrangements, and being the on-site coordinator during the Festival.
The Lowell Folk Festival seeks an organized professional with experience working with traditional craft artists and traditional craft skill demonstrations and in a partnership with multiple agencies to successfully organize and present an engaging event program during the 36th annual Lowell Folk Festival, July 28-30, 2023.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee budget for Folk Crafts Area.
- Write/edit volunteer position descriptions for crafts area and submit in timely manner to volunteer coordinator and follow-through on recruitment until event.
- Serve as principal liaison to all confirmed crafts artists. Talk with each craft artist [approximately 16] as to festival logistics and their onsite needs, write/send contracts for 2023 event, coordinate signed contracts with Festival staff for payment, determine/reserve hotel needs for crafts artists, parking passes during festival, and other logistical tasks as required.
- Communicate with Festival partners to coordinate equipment and set-up arrangements at Folk Crafts Area.
- Participate at Folk Festival Planning Meetings.
- Proofread/edit introductory text and bios for crafts artists written by folklorist.
- Work with festival publicist(s) and partners on special pitches for crafts stories.
- Produce final crafts area signs – for both introduction and artists. Work with folklorist and partner staff to proofread/design/produce signs, get materials to/from printer, and arrange placement through festival partners at the event.
- Coordinate all site needs and logistics with Festival partners – e.g., transportation, tents, lighting, signage, overnight storage, tables/chairs, etc.
- Present and manage the folk crafts area, working with partners, supervise crafts artists arrival and check-in both Saturday and Sunday morning, and departure on Saturday and Sunday evenings.
- Conduct post-Festival closeout of Folk Crafts Area including receiving feedback and conducting evaluation summary from the event.
- Knowledge: Bachelor’s degree; minimum one year’s experience in project and contract management or related work; experience with presenting cultural demonstrations or events.
- Organization: Documented experience with: Strong project management and time management skills, ability to successfully work within project budgets, flexibility to adapt to changes in projects and program schedules.
- Teamwork: Ability to work both collaboratively and independently, with general supervision.
- Comfort and enjoyment working within and among people from diverse socioeconomic, racial and political backgrounds; Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and a dedication to providing superior customer service; Ability to assess problems and propose solutions;
- Reliability, trustworthiness, and a positive demeanor; Willingness to get your hands dirty, learn new skills, and help solve problems.
- Schedule: This is a project contract position for a part-time position to begin immediately and continue to the completion of the Lowell Folk Festival and close-out responsibilities in August 2023.
- Hours: Part time from start through mid-August. Future extension of position is to be determined. Includes occasional meetings and appointments and nights and weekends throughout the year and particularly the month approaching, during, and just after the Festival dates of July 28-30, 2023.
The Festival Folk Craft Site Coordinator application should include your resume and a cover letter with an explanation of your qualifications. Submit all information to [email protected].
Salary/Compensation: Salary $5,000 total with interim payments on completion of benchmarks and remainder on completion of project.
Applications are due by March 16.
We sometimes make mistakes, and we are happy to correct any errors that you may come across on our site. If you find an error, please let us know using the “submit a correction” link.