The AFS Independent Folklorists’ Section and the Women’s Section offer an Annual Meeting Award of $750 to attend the AFS Annual Meeting. The award supports costs such as transportation, meeting registration, lodging and/or per diem expenses) for an independent folklorist who is working on women’s issues to attend the annual meeting and to present their work.
The award is contingent on the applicant’s proposal being accepted for participation in the AFS meeting.
Eligibility for the award:
- Live at least 100 miles from the meeting location.
- Be someone who earns a significant portion of income from independent consulting work or as an independent scholar.
- Plan to attend the annual AFS meeting for at least two full days as well as the business meetings of the Women’s and the Independent Folklorists’ Sections, where the recipient will be acknowledged and may be asked to briefly describe their participation. Note that these meetings may be held at the Annual Meeting or virtually prior to the meeting.
- Not have made the same presentation at a previous AFS meeting.
- Not have received either of the two Independent Travel Awards in the past two years.
- Be willing to serve on the selection committee the year following receipt of the award.
If you are eligible, you may apply for both this award and the Independent Folklorists’ Travel Award, but you can receive only one award.
How to Apply
The deadline for applications is July 15. The awardee will be notified by July 30.
- How you will participate in the annual American Folklore Society meeting (paper session, panel, forum, workshop, or other event);
- Your work as an independent folklorist and your experience and interest in women’s folklore;
- The approximate proportion of your income that is derived from independent consulting or academic work;
- The impact receiving the Women’s/Independent Folklorists’ Annual Meeting Award will have on your ability to attend;
- How you hope to benefit from attending the meeting and what contribution your presence at the meeting will make to the field;
- Budget Estimate: Please estimate the travel expenses you expect to incur (Include airfare or other transportation costs, lodging and meal expenses, and meeting registration fees). It is understood that the $750 stipend may not cover all expenses.
- Attach, in the same file, a current resume or cv.
Applications are reviewed by the stipend selection committee, which is composed of a representative from the Independent Section, Women’s Section, the Public Programs Section, and recent recipients of the award, according to the following criteria:
- The quality and significance of the applicant’s work, as based on the narrative, abstract proposal and résumé.
- The extent to which the applicant’s attendance at the AFS meetings will benefit both the applicant and the field, especially in the area of women’s folklore.
- The feasibility of the budget and the applicant’s demonstrated need of the award in order to attend the meeting.
For questions about the Women’s/Independent Folklorists’ Sections Annual Meeting Award, please contact Dr. Christine Zinni at [email protected]. For questions about the application process, contact [email protected].
The Independent Folklorists’ Section gratefully acknowledges support from the AFS Women’s Section to facilitate participation in the annual meeting by an independent folklorist.
We sometimes make mistakes, and we are happy to correct any errors that you may come across on our site. If you find an error, please let us know using the “submit a correction” link.