Wondering how to get around Portland before, during, and after the in-person portion of the AFS Annual Meeting this November? We have good news for you: our host city this year features an inexpensive and easy-to-use public transportation system called TriMet, providing bus, light rail, and commuter rail service across and beyond Portland. Use TriMet’s Planner tool to find your best ride to and from the airport according to when you’ll arrive and depart, or plan an excursion during your time in town.
For those who will fly into Portland International Airport and stay at the conference hotel (Hilton Downtown Portland), we recommend taking the MAX Light Rail:
- Follow signage from your arrival terminal to the TriMet Light Rail station near Terminal B on the south side of the airport
- Purchase a Hop card online along the way, or use the vending machines next to the Light Rail exit
- Hop on the Red Line of the Light Rail and exit at Pioneer Square North.
- You will disembark on SW Morrison St, close to the intersection with SW 6th Ave.
- Walk southwest on SW 6th for 0.1 miles and find the Hilton on your right, between SW Taylor St and SW Salmon St.
Find other resources for navigating Portland and getting the most out of your visit, including the Local Committee’s Guide to Portland, on the Local Information page. We look forward to gathering with you soon in the Rose City!
We sometimes make mistakes, and we are happy to correct any errors that you may come across on our site. If you find an error, please let us know using the “submit a correction” link.